Achieve a Brighter Smile With Professional Teeth Whitening
Staining or discoloration of the teeth can make it difficult to be confident in your smile. Thankfully, the safe and effective teeth whitening systems provided at the office of Dr. Ramirez can give you the whiter smile you’ve been dreaming of!
Dr. Ramirez offers various methods of teeth whitening. Read on to learn more about what causes tooth discoloration and available whitening treatments.
Why Your Teeth Won’t Stay White
Over the years, it can become more difficult to keep your teeth white. Factors such as aging and genetics make extrinsic and intrinsic stains more common.
Extrinsic stains lay on the surface of your enamel, while intrinsic stains penetrate the enamel and lay beneath it. Common causes for both categories of staining include:
- Tobacco use
- Dental trauma
- Certain illnesses such as liver disease, celiac disease, and diabetes
- Excessive fluoride exposure
- Poor dental hygiene
- Certain foods and beverages (such as dark berries and coffee)
- Certain medications
Professional Teeth Whitening Vs. Store Bought
Everyone wants a sparkling white smile, as proven by the rise in popularity of over-the-counter teeth whitening products. We understand that it’s tempting to reach for the most readily available and affordable option. However, patients should know that professional teeth whitening offers significant advantages over store bought whitening kits.
Some advantages of professional teeth whitening include:
- Longer lasting whitening
- Ability to treat intrinsic stains
- Reduced chances of sensitivity or irritation
Professional Teeth Whitening Offered By Dr. Ramirez
Dr. Ramirez offers three different methods of professional teeth whitening to allow for more patients to receive treatment.
Venus White Max In-Office Teeth Whitening
Venus White Max is a high performance, in-office professional teeth whitening option which produces dramatic results in three or four 15 minute sessions.
- We’ll protect your gums and lips from the bleach used in treatment. Common methods of protection include:
- Vitamin e-oil
- Barriers that push the tongue back and help expose the teeth for easier bleaching
- We’ll carefully apply the bleaching solution to your teeth with a syringe.
- The solution will be suctioned off and reapplied up to three more times.
- You’ll leave our San Luis Obispo office the same day with a whiter, brighter smile!
Opalescence Whitening Gel
Opalescence take-home whitening gel allows you to get safe, professional whitening results at your convenience. Available in four strength levels of whitening and three flavors, Opalescence offers safe, effective, and customized teeth whitening.
- We’ll take detailed impressions of your teeth that will serve as the blueprints for your trays.
- Your trays are created in-office to fit to the exact shape of your teeth, preventing exposure of your gums to the bleaching agent and reducing sensitivity.
- Brush and floss your teeth before use to maximize results.
- Apply the whitening gel in a continuous line to the bottom of the tray, no more than one third of the syringe.
- Gently apply the labeled tray to the targeted teeth.
- Wear times can vary from as little as 15 minutes to overnight depending on your treatment plan and the strength of the solution we prescribe.
Opalescence Go is a fast-working and professional at-home alternative to store bought whitening kits. The UltraFit™ tray comes pre-filled with whitening gel, eliminating the need for custom fit trays by conforming to any smile.
- Brush and floss your teeth before use to see better results.
- Apply the labeled trays to the proper teeth. Trays for upper teeth will be labeled “U” and lower teeth trays will be labeled “L.”
- Bite firmly on the tray, then suck for two seconds.
- Remove the colored outer tray, leaving the whitening tray in place.
- Once the proper amount of time has passed, remove the whitening trays and brush your teeth to reveal a brighter smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Clean your reusable whitening trays with a soft-bristled brush and warm water, then store them in the provided case.
Teeth whitening opens the pores of the teeth, exposing the dentin layer where living tissue is found, to bleaching agents. This means that some sensitivity after a teeth whitening treatment is normal. Sensitivity tends to fade on its own after a few days.
The chances of sensitivity, damaged enamel, and irritation are reduced when teeth whitening is performed by an experienced professional like Dr. Ramirez. If you experience sensitivity after teeth whitening treatment that lasts more than a few days, call our San Luis Obispo office at (805) 549-8483.
In order to manage post whitening sensitivity, we recommended the following:
- Avoid hot and cold foods for at least three days
- Take an analgesic
- Coat your teeth with vitamin e-oil
- Use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth
- Use tooth mousse
Dr. Ramirez highly suggests scheduling a consultation with her before starting any dental treatment, including teeth whitening. Failure to do so increases your chances of post whitening sensitivity, damaging your teeth, and irritating your gums. You can schedule your consultation with Dr. Ramirez by contacting our San Luis Obispo office at (805) 549-8483.
Safe & Effective Teeth Whitening Is Professional Teeth Whitening!
Store bought teeth whitening kits can’t offer the safe, effective, and long-lasting benefits of professional whitening treatments. If you want a whiter smile, the best option is to schedule an appointment with a dental professional like Dr. Ramirez.
To schedule a consultation for teeth whitening, call our San Luis Obispo office by dialing (805) 549-8483 or fill out our contact form. Dr. Ramirez will help you choose the teeth whitening method that works best for your budget and schedule while delivering stunning results you’ll be eager to show off!